Monday, October 10, 2016

10 Lessons I've Recently Learned From Anxiety

Heartbeat is Racing
Not in the 'I'm in Love' Way
But Anxiety

I recently took a test to figure out the level of my anxiety and I discovered I scored double the amount that was considered 'severe'. I have grown accustomed to the way my body reacts when I'm anxious, so this was naturally surprising for me to discover. Although I have absolutely improved in managing depression and anxiety, it will always be something I need to work on. 

This has taught me several things:

1) Anxiety and depression isn't something to be cured, but managed. 

2) If it isn't managed, it can become debilitating and increase the effects of one another exponentially. 

3) We cannot use depression/ anxiety as an excuse for lacking.

4) If we feed depression/ anxiety with our excuses, it will grow from them. This doesn't mean to ignore it, but rather accept it as a part of ourselves and seek to get help with it.

5) Life can suck but that doesn't mean that we suck, or even that we can't experience the beauty available throughout all the world.

6) Recognize this as an opportunity to be humble and find strength in oneself as well as in a higher being. Humility can be a powerful source of strength, which differentiates from self-esteem.

7) I am grateful for my depression and anxiety. It teaches me the power of my mind and what can be accomplished through determination. I grow in humility, empathy, and compassion. 

8) My worth and value does not diminish with depression/ anxiety. Instead, it is masked by the darkness of my mind and body. 

9) We cannot overcome this alone.

10) Find times to express what we are grateful for and ponder them. This is the first step to having optimism.

I want others to know they aren't alone in their struggles, and that it is possible to be optimistic in depression/anxiety. That doesn't mean the struggle fades, or that we will always be optimistic. There will be times of darkness, where negativity surrounds us. It is simply my desire to share that hope is available to all who suffer. I am grateful for this life I have been given, and look forward to the great experiences this life has to offer.

'Men (and woman) are that they might have joy.'

No comments:

Post a Comment