Friday, July 10, 2015

Humility... Or low self-esteem?

What is my purpose?
To give in to my weakness?
Or use it to grow....

An issue in regards to humility has been on my mind of late. While I was young, I questioned if being humble was the same as having low self-esteem. Since then I've come to learn that there is a difference - in fact, there aren't very many similarities at all. Having low self-esteem is something I've faced my whole life, therefore these feelings are very familiar to me as I consider them. Humility is something I had to develop and separate from the feelings of low self-esteem. 


The definition of humility is as such in the webster's dictionary: 'the quality or state of not thinking you are better than other people'. Whereas self-esteem is 'a confidence and satisfaction in oneself' - the application of the word 'low' to this term implies a lack of confidence and dissatisfaction in oneself. This difference to me is equal to the difference between pride and confidence: pride is the placement of oneself onto a higher plane than those around, the belief that they are better than others; whereas confidence is a recognition on one's own talent's and abilities, acting in a manner in which these are performed affectively with control over those thoughts and actions considered prideful. With this in mind, humility is similar to confidence in that it opposes pride, or the lifting of oneself up above another. Humility recognizes the equality of every being on the earth, which includes your equality with others. Low self-esteem is placing every single person above oneself, claiming others will always 'be better, prettier, cooler, more fun, etc', therefore creating an imbalance pertaining to the worth of the individual to those around them. I have seen others act, and even I have felt at times, as though we don't need to strive for humility as we feel we are already as 'dust of the earth' (in regards to feelings of low self-worth). 


I've come to recognize this falsehood and therefore state that humility is empowering and uplifting; whereas this low self-esteem only constricts our potential. Humility leads to happiness, love, peace, and fulfillment; low self-esteem creates a downhill spiraling path that inspires or gratifies depression. Humility is spiritual and everlasting, opening opportunities to change and grow; the latter is a debilitating excuse to falter in the face of life's challenges. I'm striving for humility, and hope that it isn't replaced by low self-worth.  I've recognized how challenging this is being diagnosed with medical depression - that being said, I have a hope and a belief that humility is obtainable, along with happiness, peace, and a fullness of love. 


'Men (and women) are that they might have joy.' 

3 comments:

  1. I love these thoughts. I have often wondered about the difference myself. I also think of humility as being a willingness to turn to God and rely on his power in addition to our own. While low self confidence usually makes us want to crawl in a hole and do nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these thoughts. I have often wondered about the difference myself. I also think of humility as being a willingness to turn to God and rely on his power in addition to our own. While low self confidence usually makes us want to crawl in a hole and do nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Consider Antidepressants as a step in the race, with the prize being recovery from depression so that we can achieve wholeness in Christ.

    ReplyDelete