Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Optimism in depression - FIRST POST!

Optimism in depression


First off, a collection of haiku's:

Ooh! A cockroach! 
Pickles and tickles and such. 
These are things I hate. 

Feeling unhappy
Can't control the darkness
Clouding the reason

Turning to God
A light in all the darkness
Holy freaking cow

Cows have black spots
As black as my dark moments
I am like a cow!

Cows live on farms
And farmers are hard workers
I must give effort. 

I know I'm worth it
How I want to be happy! 
It all starts with me

I may need help
I can't do this on my own
You are not alone


Hello hello! My name is Alek and I have major depression and severe anxiety! Now, this isn't something to celebrate, in fact it is the most trying thing I have ever experienced in my entire life. And the worst thing about it is that it is always with me! There is always a part of me that recognizes myself as a loser, unworthy, weak, imperfect, flawed, dumb, and all of those other wonderfully uplifting descriptions. However I have learned in my life to recognize that there truly is a silver lining in all things. In fact, I have come to learn that every good thing about me I owe to my Savior Jesus Christ, my family, and to this very trial that seems at times to overwhelm me. Which is why I have decided to start this blog! To show that there really can be optimism in depression. 



I've been thinking about this for a while now, but something that really pushed me to post this today was the tragic death of Robin Williams. That man has caused me to laugh in classics such as Mrs. Doubtfire, and Patch Adams, while in other movies inspire me through his words, such as in Good Will Hunting, and Dead Poets Society. Even more tragic than his death, is the evidence pointing to his apparent suicide. It's a huge shock to imagine someone who delights in laughter and the laughter of others, as well as having the appearance of always being happy, ever being depressed or unhappy. 



On this level I feel like I can relate. Many people with whom I confide my health problems have exclaimed that it is 'impossible' that I am depressed, me being a 'happy person all the time'. Oh, it's very possible! Haha. There is sometimes a person filled with pain and anguish on the inside. But never mind that life gets me down to the degree of thinking to hurt myself and sometimes entertaining the thought of other worse things. Never mind my struggle to feel happy, as though that option is entirely unavailable to me. I am here to say that I have felt all those things - but I have also felt joy, peace, love. All of the things that not only make this life bearable, but absolutely worth it. And all of you can too. 



The first thing is to recognize that depression is very similar to breaking a leg. If you break a leg, you aren't going to push through it, or pray that it is healed and you keep walking on it. No way Che! You go to the doctors and listen to their guidance and then follow where they lead you, whether that be a necessary readjustment, surgery, or even simply placing it in a cast. That is necessary to recovering! And so it is with depression. There are medications that can be prescribed, as well as therapists available to talk to. Finding the right medication can be a long and difficult process, but it is one that is so worth it when the right medication is found and it helps level out those crazy moods. Because the feeling of depression is literally as though the ability to experience good emotions is impossible. But we can and should have control over our emotions - and that option is available to us. 



The next step is to mentally discover and acknowledge the things we are grateful for. The more I think about those things I'm grateful for, the more my burden is lightened and I'm able to see the good things that life has to offer. Like my wonderful family, or my super stellar friends, or my fantasy football league. There are literally MILLIONS of things to be grateful for! And every one of those things have saved my life, for which I am eternally grateful. 



This last step I'd like to mention is to recognize that we aren't alone in this. There is a support system that I like to follow. First, turn to God and trust in Him, as well as the atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ. He has taken upon Himself all of our sufferings and transgressions. How cool is it to know that the very Being who created this earth is personally invested in you and your progression? But that scripture that says 'knock and it shall be opened to you' means that we must act and turn to him and His strength will be available for us. That's kind of like the neatest thing in the whole world. I have felt His presence lift me up and give me hope. Second, turn to family/ guardians and/ or older people in whom we trust - like a teacher, or a religious leader. Third, trust in your friends and your peers in whom you trust. Trust in me - someone who is walking that very path you are on. If there is anything you got out of this post it should be this: that you are not alone. We do not go through this alone, and when things are tough we can lean on others to strengthen us. Especially when it's difficult. 



Please remember that it is always possible to be optimistic in depression. And it is the best thing ever :D 'men (and women) are that they might have joy'. 

 

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thnx for sharing this .I'm going through a bit of depression and anxiety at the moment and it really helps to read others stories. It helps to know that I'm not the only one going through this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire your effort to remain optimistic through depression, it's certainly not an easy thing to do. It's good to remember in those dark moments that there is in fact light in the world and further there are pieces of that light for you if you can just push or endure through the depression. I'm glad you pointed out that depression, just like a broken leg needs medical attention whether that be medication, therapy, or both! I think perhaps people who have never experienced depression may not understand how vital treatment is. Even if it requires trying out different medications/dosages/therapists, it's worth it. Thanks for sharing! I always think it's so brave when people open up about the difficulties they've experienced.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was beautifully written. It can be so hard tho stay optimistic during depression. I can be severely pessimistic during a depressive episode. It is one of the things I find most challenging about myself. It is hard to remember the good sometimes. But you are truly right that there can be optimism in depression. Remind oneself of the things to be thankful for. You, sir, have a beautiful soul. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Please remember that it is always possible to be optimistic in depression"
    Bless your heart, Alek.
    How grateful you must be that you are always able to feel optimism! Some people struggle with depression so severe that they are unable to feel optimism, love, joy or hope.
    There are many kinds of depression and many levels of severity. Some depression is treatment resistant. Some is so debilitating it requires months or years of hospitalization.
    It is natural to think what works for you will work for others. But it can also be hurtful or damaging to others who struggle to make such assumptions.
    It is NOT always possible to be optimistic in depression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a great point, I have to agree.

      Delete
    2. I apologize for this sincerely. This wasn't my intention. Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I will not make that mistake again.

      Delete
  6. Personally I believe your statement "optimism in depression" is not a prescription to solve depression but rather an offer of hope that it can be managed, reduced, or even eradicated. I think even those suffering debilitating cases of depression need this hope that there is a way out of the darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Alek. I just returned early from a mission because of severe anxiety and depression. This is exactly what I needed to read, and this will really help a lot of my family members and friends to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your post. We recently began a blog for our families (my husband and mine). My brother also deals with major depression and has made some beautiful posts. 2storyfamily.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete