Monday, May 4, 2015

Paradise

Life and death are this:
Trapped in an airport,
To paradise. 

Hello! I'm sorry I haven't written in so long! I have been super busy this last semester, what with school, working 3 jobs, and other various extracurricular activities. I have been meaning to write for so long, as there have been a large number of thoughts rolling around in my head over these last four months. Many of these thoughts being distressing and upset, mostly due to the stressful state I've been in with school, work, etc. I'm also grateful to say that I have experienced some truly incredible blessings over this same period of time. I love my Heavenly Father, His son Jesus Christ - my Savior and friend, my wonderful family, and my awesome friends. I'm grateful for the Holy Spirit, the Comforter who always comes when I am humbled, broken, and afraid. It is through these relationships I have come to recognize some of the greatest beauty this world has to offer, and I know God intended for me to learn this. 



Once upon a time, two poor college students were looking to travel and see the world at as cheap a price as they can manage. Which so happened to be my friend Austin and I. The destination: Mexico, home of 'the taco'. We planned with expectations of beach volleyball, sun-kissing, and girl-friending (open to the potential of a green card marriage), etc. Our hopes were high! We would fly stand-by, thanks to my aunt, and we found a place to stay at a ridiculously good deal. In the weeks leading up to our trip, I received a call from the hotel we'd be staying at; they were expecting the payment for the 'mandatory all-inclusive' service, which was way more than we could afford (which they conveniently forgot to mention at the beginning). We switched to a hostel in the middle of the city of Cancun, which gave our parents the desire to bless us with these wise, inciting words: be careful. Many, many times. Apparently, there is a movie called 'Hostel' that is found in the genre of horror. I imagine it's quite frightening. 



Anywho, it didn't deter my excitement too much, as I love traveling, Spanish, food, beaches, and the sun in general. We attended General Conference up in Salt Lake City, a full day of listening to impactful words spoken by inspired men of God. It was amazing - the spirit of God was felt and I heard things that I know were intended for me to hear. We went to the SLC airport at 10 that night, hoping to board the flight to Orlando, then fly from Orlando to Cancun. We saw an old family friend of mine, their family was going to Cancun the same way we were, also stand-by. It was so great speaking with them! We made plans to meet up later in the week after we'd both arrived. 



Unfortunately, we didn't make the flight.  It filled up last second and so we decided to take a different route to Cancun. We left the next day for Long Beach, where we had a layover for 8 hours. 6 hours into it, we found out our flight was delayed 2 more hours. After finally making the flight, we arrived in San Francisco 5 minutes after our connecting flight took off, the next flight leaving 24 hours later. Luckily I have some amazing family in San Jose who sacrificed time and effort to pick us up and accommodate us, which was a huge blessing! They let us use a car, which allowed us to eat a ton of frozen yogurt, walk along the beach in Santa Cruz, and look at massive, lazy seals. It was an awesome experience! That night, we made our flight to Florida, stayed for 8 more hours in the airport, and then flew from Florida to Cancun. 



Upon arriving in Cancun, everything happening filled me with excitement. We had the best experiences, that were both humbling, and inspiring. Walking on the beach the night after our arrival, I was filled with the spirit as I realized that the journey of getting to Mexico was the same journey I am undertaking now in this mortal life. The disappointments when expectations aren't met, the frustrations, the impending crisis of a stagnant existence, etc. It was a rough 3 days of traveling! But amidst these difficult moments, we found time to laugh! We really enjoyed ourselves and made memories. There were times sitting in an airport where I thought to myself, it is my choice right now to be miserable, or be happy - positive and optimistic, or be negative and miserable. Those moments where I chose the first made my experience even better, and I absolutely loved it! Now, Austin and I talk about the adventure of getting there as much as the adventure of being there. 



To the millions of people who have been to Cancun, it is paradise. To me, it is also paradise - but in a deeper way. 

Alma 40:12 states: 

'And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow.'

I felt peace. I felt rest. I felt happy. 



This experience taught me so much about my purpose on this earth (the traveling) and what comes after (Cancun). Not only should I be happy, but I want to be happy! Happiness is desired for me! There is such a thing as paradise, and God wants all of us to obtain it. As Jesus Christ suffered and died to save me from spiritual death, he also saved me from physical death. This is a perfect and beautiful way for me to learn and grow from my experiences; and the desire to live in this paradisiacal state after this life with those I love is an enabling power given me by a loving Father in Heaven to be stronger than I am, be greater than my flaws, relying on my potential and acting. My heart breaks every time I see someone in pain, and yet it is overjoyed when this same person learns from this experience and uses it to thank God - praising His name, acting with love and optimism in the face of trial and difficulty. 



I love my life. I love my circumstances. 'Men (and women) are that they might have joy'. 


No comments:

Post a Comment